Friday, April 10, 2009

Rotting piles

If the recent posting on composting got you thinking about starting a rotting pile of your own, here's a link to a great resource on compost piles. It's on a site called "Emily Compost -- Celebrating Gardening, Plants and Weeds." Looks like it could be a site I refer back to a lot!

We just got back from a week in New Jersey visiting the homestead, and I now have to scramble around and make the house look nice for visiting relatives who get here in two hours. Yikes. I am happy to say it looks like the Plant A Row efforts are already taking off at St. Joe's -- I've got the PDF for some fliers in my email box, and folks are seem to be gearing up to get this thing going. Next week I'll put some effort into expanding it beyond St. Joe's.

I'm happy to report that the snow this week hasn't hurt my budding garden. Looks like the weeds are very healthy and hardy! Also, I think there are some radish sprouts starting to take hold. And quite possibly some lettuce. I'm resisting the urge to weed, even though the garden really needs it, until I can really tell what's in there. Knowing me, I'll weed all the good veggies out.

When I was in New Jersey, I went looking for some Jersey Tomato seedlings, but couldn't find any. It's probably too early, I know, but I'd love to have a nice Jersey Tomato plant for my own use this summer ...

No comments: