Friday, April 24, 2009

Been a while ...

Sorry to my three readers -- it has been a while. My day job involves the auto industry, and if you're in southeast Michigan you'd have to be in a coma or blessedly unaware to not know how crazy the auto industry is these days. The world is crazed, and so am I. 

Good news! I have sprouts! My lettuce, radishes and carrots all have teeny tiny sprouts out in the garden. The entire garden is overwhelmed with weeds, though, so I need to figure out how to get those buggers out while preserving the  baby shoots. I'm still waiting for the snow peas to sprout -- I'm kind of surprised that they aren't already sprouting, so we'll see what happens. 

No progress yet on expanding the Plant-A-Row program throughout the town. I'm looking for a dropoff/pickup spot. Need to send a letter to the Dexter Leader talking about the program once I find a good dropoff spot, and then may try to host a speaker at the library on food insecurity issues. 

I came across this story today on Farmer's Markets. It's very interesting, and shows the progession of Farmer's Markets from a cheap way to sell vegetables to locals to something else entirely. 

No comments: