Friday, April 3, 2009

Raining today

It's raining today, and out in the driveway there were three big, fat earthworms. I was tempted to scoop them up and drop them in my garden, but ick. Worms. Maybe I'll get the kids to do it.

For the record, I've already planted a few cold-weather seeds. I put in a row of snow peas, radishes, lettuce, and carrots. Like I mentioned before, I'm really not a great gardener. Not sure if it's too early for those seeds. The last day of frost in the Ann Arbor area is supposedly May 15th, but that seems a little late to me. I'm hoping it's earlier, but either way these seeds supposedly like the cold. There are a few sprouts in the garden already, but I can't tell if they're weeds or plants. If they're plants, uh oh. I pulled some and threw them out already.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I also started a compost pile. We used to compost quite a bit when we lived in New Jersey, but stopped once we moved to Michigan. I have a weird love of compost. I love not throwing food away, knowing that the egg shells and strawberry tops and old banana peels can do some good in just a few months. For this compost pile, I was determined not to spend any money. So I'm using our crock pot as a temporary storage spot in the kitchen. We usually only use the crock pot in the winter, so I put a plastic bowl inside and just toss the scraps in there until I'm ready to bring them out back.

I don't know too much about composting, but I keep my compost piles meat and bread-free. I only throw in vegetable matter, fruit castoffs, coffee grinds and egg shells. No sugar, nothing processed, no chicken bones. I honestly can't remember if I'm doing that because that's what you're supposed to do, or if I'm just weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I winter sowed some seeds today....we are supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow. Go figure!

I am trying to get the word out about your blog, but it isn't showing up in a google search yet. Did you make it be searchable? Also, it's hard to make comments...I had to try a bunch of different ways. Check your settings.

Sharon said...

Hopefully it's all fixed now -- I made it searchable and tweaked the commenting settings. Thanks for the feedback!