Monday, August 10, 2009

Zingerman's farming efforts

There's a nice article on annarborchronicle.com about Alex Young, manager of Zingerman's Roadhouse, and his efforts at farming. My lovely husband pointed it out to me yesterday morning, noting that I should go volunteer for him and learn something about gardening.

His point is well taken. I love the idea of gardening, and I love planting, but I lose my will somewhere in the early summer when the plants are still just little plants and there's nothing to harvest. I forget about it, and forget to water, and then the garden becomes a mess. That's the state my tiny garden is in right now: A complete mess. The green beans were doing well, but then they dried out and died before I harvested even one. My tomato plants were crowded out by the larger bean plants, and are now struggling to hang on. The only thing doing well right now is the carrots. We will probably harvest them next week.

We brought another 40 pounds of veggies to Food Gatherers today. Whoot! My 6 year old son, James, likes to come along for the ride. He loves the big stone carrots outside of the Food Gatherers building, and I love the company. Most times he's very quiet in the car, although I try getting him to talk. But he's with me, so that's gotta be something.


No comments: